The Joan dress
It's finished!! I did a crazy day of deadline sewing today and made the dress all in one go. Unfortunately that did not leave a lot of room for tweaking and unpicking for better adjustments. I'm so happy with my dress! To bad it's nighttime now and I cannot make awesome sunlit pictures in the garden.
I think the dress turned out fairly all right. It's the first woven fabric pattern I made from scratch and it's totally wearable! I can move! hurray! I really like the sunburst pleating I did in the back in hindsight and I love how the collar turned out. I did three muslins to get it that close so I'll stick with this result. The only thing I don't like all that much are the sleeves, I didn't really plan them to come out this way, and they don't fit 100 procent right. There is too much room on top and to little at the bottom. No idea weather this is because of the pattern or the sloper I made. I'll try to tweak them later on. I also added an extra belt. I felt that the waistband of the dress was not giving enough definition on it's own. Probably because I'm not Christina Hendricks. Too bad...
Full details on how I made this pattern and a tutorial to make your own can be found here construction drawing and design choises and here how to adjust a sloper to this pattern.
I love the fabric, it may be a bit bleak but it has a really nice texture and drape to it. I went looking for a fabric that looked warm and coat like but was fit to be worn as a dress. This was rather difficult since they mainly had summer fabrics at the fabric fair when I went and bought the fabric. I chose a natural looking green becouse it's still close in spirit to the rusty brown of the original dress but suits my wardrobe better. remains in the I thought it would be hellishly difficult to sew since it was very slippery while cutting out the pieces but it came out alright. The real dealbraker today was the tread, it kept on breaking without any apparent reason!
I styled the dress with an awesome swarovski spider pin from my mom. The stone fell out just before the photo (nothing unfixable however), but I think it still looks nice. And red boots because red shoes are awesome.
The dress features French seams where possible and bias binding where it was not. The hem is finished with a blind hem machine stich.