Past projects part 2: the pretty petticoat
I had been searching the web for the perfect petticoat pattern for ages and hadn't found anything that I really liked, so I made the pattern for this petticoat myself with tips and tricks I picked up from loads of other tutorials. Drafting this pattern isn't difficult at all, but since there are so many options it can get confusing.
I do love the possibility's of petticoats, especially for bridal and evening wear. You can really make any shape you like to enhance the shap you have. I think I might like a mermaid one as well, one day. I do recommend tackling this project with two people since that really came in handy while cutting the fabric. We ended up spending a day on the cutting alone. But in the end, it's quit cheap to make, compared to a purchased one. I think we spend 6 euro on the tulle and 3 on the satin (per person) and 3 for thread, and yes you will need a lot of that. Compared to prices asked for petticoats in stores, that's saving bundles.
The construction turned out to be slightly trickier than I antisipated. But it's still fairley straightforward if you've ever used a sewing machine before. It does involve lots of gathering and pinning and that can be a bit tricky if you've never done that before. If you are teaming up for this project it's easiest to have one person pin and the other person gathering. The last reason why I would recommend teaming up for this particular project is that gathering and pinning yards and yards of fabric can get a little boring without propper company.
|The Petticoat underneath a dress.|
Since we only had limited time to finish this project it got a little stressy resulting in me making a lot of beginners mistakes that only slowed the proces down even more. I for example forgot the wearing ease while cutting out the inner skirt. I ended up having to insert a strip of fabric, since the leftovers weren't large enough for a new piece.
I also should have used two different pieces of fabric for the waistband and the lining since now the good side of the lining is facing inwards, but since the petticoat is see through it looks a bit weird.
I regret not making the lining in a stretchier fabric that would make walking a tad easier.
I ironed the lining separately since you cannot iron tulle (it will melt). This gave me the crisp crease I wanted in the hem and the waistband.
Conclusion: I'm really happy with how this project turned out. the petticoat is very versatile and cheap compared to a bought one. It did take quite some time to make but I feel it was totally worth it. Although I made some mistakes in the pattern, I've got a good idea how i'll fix them next time around. Since It's an undergarment no-one will notice anyway so I cant be botherd unpicking it all.
I will make an in depth tutorial on how to make this or any other petticoat in my next post.